INTERVIEW WITH DAWN OF ASHES (INDUSTRIAL METAL)



 Interview with Kristof Bathory, founder/frontman of Dawn of Ashes
1. I read your words about it being a critical time for humanity and inspiration behind The Antinomian. Sadly, it is even more so with the onset of COVID, which also claimed my father, so I feel particularly strongly about this area. Do you think we will see something positive come from all of this? Or, will things remain the same with greed running the world as it always has?

Kristof> I have already seen some positive outcomes since this pandemic has taken place. Being in Los Angeles. Pollution has gone down. Global warming has decreased.  People are fighting for the right causes but at the same time people are abusing that power. So, it just depends on what you are focusing on.

One of the greatest eye openers and I don’t really know if I can specifically define this as positive but in theory you can. We are now seeing the true colors in humanity. The garbage is coming up to the surface and displaying their ignorance. We now have a choice to do the right thing and become better examples of human beings. We should all learn from this pandemic.

2. Who did the album cover for The Antinomian? It’s pretty rad and I love the look of it.

Kristof> A great artist named Vlad McNeally. He mainly works with tons of Industrial bands. Easy going and can capture the description that you give to him.

3. I remember checking out the promo for The Antinomian and when I heard the track Sleep Paralysis, I thought man this completely bad ass. I think it sets the tone for the whole album, which is a very dark dystopian feel. Guys, I’m a complete nerd, I can hear sci-fi and horror sounds throughout the release. How have you they influenced your writing and recording during the years?

Kristof> Horror and Sci-Fi have always been a huge inspiration in DOA’s music and the whole vision. Horror has been a driving focus on the vision of DOA since day one. More recently that idea has been molded into something with more meaning and the Horror that I am revealing is a lot more frightening than fictional Horror.

4. Who would be some of your favourite horror writers and movies, if not mentioned above?


Kristof> John Carpenter is definitely on the top. In the mouth of madness has always been a huge inspiration. Clive Barker is another with Hellraiser. I can list more but I think these two do their justice.

5. Event Horizon, considered to be a cult classic within sci-fi horror. What do you all think of the movie and are there any other films you think the readers should look at?

Kristof> I personally love that film and watch it pretty religiously. I would say check out Hardware. A great Industrial Sci-Fi Horror movie.

6. Do any natural landscapes help visualise ideas you are developing?

Kristof> Never really thought about this. I’m sure somewhere in the history of my work that some sort of visual inspired something. If Silent Hill was really then there you go.

7. I’m curious about your fanbase. Given the influences I can hear in your music, I’d imagine you have a wide set of followers from both within and outside industrial music. I can hear a punk edge coming through and black metal within the vocals, which gives Dawn of Ashes an angry layer along with an anarcho feel within the sound. I think it’s all interesting stuff, which you have put together for the album. Do you all think it is important to step outside the box and attract listeners from other scenes? I mean you caught my nerdy metal ears and I shit myself when I hear your music, it carries that atmosphere and mood, which I thought was pretty awesome.

Kristof> I love all types of music. I’m inspired by so many genres. Black Metal, Hardcore, Deathcore, Punk, Industrial, Soundtracks. I do not limit myself. That honestly gets boring when you trap yourself in a limited box. You limit your freedom in writing.

8. What other music would you be interested in fusing with future albums?
Kristof> I am slowly working on a new Hardcore band but also I would one day have interest in doing Synthwave. Already have executed Dark Ambient and I currently do music for movie and video game trailers.

9. What is your favorite tracks from The Antinomian and one that you can most relate too?

Kristof> Sleep Paralysis and Follow the pain.

Every song on the album I can relate to in different dynamics.

10. Are there any other bands/independent businesses you are involved with that you would like to shout out for the readers?

Kristof> I am involved in many projects. Always like to keep busy.

Links:
http://dawnofashesband.com/
https://www.facebook.com/Dawnofashes/
https://www.instagram.com/dawnofashesofficial/
https://twitter.com/dawnofashes666
https://open.spotify.com/artist/35Uzsa9o0tZkdC4ZBtXuNV?si=R2uEir08SAST4J8MlrOK-w


About Fed Up

Mosh Shinobi is an independent YouTube channel featuring Ninja/Samurai, martial arts, and action movie content.
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment