Interview with Homicide{Thrash Metal} done by Patrick posted on 8-8-20



1. Hello, Bryan please introduce yourself to the readers?
 Hi, yeah ok my name is Bryan Donahue I'm the lead and rhythm guitarist for Homicide.

2. When did you first discover thrash and metal in general and who were the first bands you heard? Who are some of the current bands that have caught your attention?
 I first heard Venom before all the others, I was already into Motorhead at the time. You could say I was right there in the beginning. I was a huge Venom and Motorhead fan. I got into Slayer around the time Haunting the Chapel came out and didn't start listening to Metallica till Ride The Lightning. I heard Seek and Destroy on the radio and didn't think much of it. When I heard Fight fire with Fire that was a different story. I was really into mostly heavy bands at the time. Exodus Destruction Kreator etc
As far as new bands go the first two that come to mind are Municipal Waste and Lich King. I saw both of them live and they put on a pretty good show.

3. When did you first get the idea to start Homicide? How would you describe the band's musical style and how do you feel it has changed over the years?
The idea to do Homicide was pretty much me and Gab. I and Gab go way back, we were in a band called Corrupted Youth, it was pretty much a cross over thing. We played with Sacrifice and D.R.I bands like that but soon the band disintegrated. A few years went by and then I heard Gab wanted to start up again and I was all over that. As far as how I'd describe the band is Apocalyptic Thrash. It's a new term I came out with so we don't get confused with the good guy thrash bands. Do you know what I mean? Gab just likes to call it a metal band but I consider it more a thrash metal band than anything else but these labels aren't always beneficial. I mean I'm working on a song now it's an instrumental and sounds more like early Maiden than it does thrash metal. You have to change up your set, you don't want every song to sound the same. When Homicide started it was the worst time to be playing thrash. The grunge thing was huge and everyone was into Nirvana. I couldn't wait for grunge to die. I really didn't like those bands at all and at the same time a lot of bands I did admire were putting out mostly garbage. Pantera put out some great stuff, but overall thrash was on the decline. Now we have a lot of new bands playing thrash which is great. Of course, things have really changed. When we started out there were no computers or cell phones. Everyone thinks music is free now. I know one band you can listen to their whole new album on youtube. Why buy it when you can get it for free? I don't know you better have some cool looking shirts if you want to make any money. We were never into it for the money anyway, our main goal was really just to go on tour. I noticed a lot more women at shows and onstage, I'm cool with that. The more the merrier.

4. Left For Dead is the band's second full-length release how long did it take the band to write to the music for the new release? How long does it usually take the band to complete one song?
We wrote the album pretty fast. Gab came up with Left for Dead. He had most of the lyrics and the main riff all ready to go. It's really two songs in one. We had another song called Drive-By so we just stuck the two together and it worked. We could write a song in a day but sometimes a song can take forever. Months, sometimes years even. I had the song Scourge of God just sitting there for I don't know long and I really wanted someone else besides me to add to it or I was going to let it sit there till I thought of something I really liked. Eventually, Gab had a song called Rise which I thought was perfect so we incorporated the two songs. It's not how we always do things but you're not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

5. Who usually handles writing the lyrics for the music and what are some topics written about on the new release? Which usually comes first the music or the lyrics?
You know what, it's usually the song title for me and then the music and then the lyrics but sometimes I'll have some lyrics hanging around just in case we need them. If I think of something cool I'll write it down and add to it later. Gab wrote most of the lyrics this time around. I got about 10 lines in and came up with most of the song titles. To sum up the album it's pretty much about revenge. Shot to Hell is about a guy who has a gambling addiction and can't pay his debts. You can imagine what happens to him. That's not really about revenge, just a settling of accounts. Point Blank Range could be about the hit man's perspective. He's out to collect. Really I find the first 3 songs all tie into each other with a twist ending . You got the gambling addict in the first song Shot to Hell then you got the Hitman out to collect in Point Blank Range and then you got Left for Dead where you think the persons dead but he's not. It's our version of a killogy . Enemy of the State is about the government making up conspiracy theories to cover up their actions and Nightmares of the Apocalypse and Scorched Earth are both about Nuclear War and the end times. Lastly Scourge of God is about Attila the Hun and the decline of civilization. Also about the downtrodden taking their revenge against a brutal regime that has overstayed their welcome, to put it mildly.

6. Besides the upcoming Left For Dead release, are there any copies of the debut release still available for the readers to purchase? Besides physical releases does the band have any other merchandise currently available for the readers to purchase if yes what is available and where can the readers buy it?
 Everything you would want to buy will be available at our website homicideoffical.com You can also find us on Itunes Google play etc and Facebook.

7. Has Homicide gotten to play many shows or tours over the years? If yes where were some of your favorite cities and places to play?
 Last year we played New Brunswick Montreal and Halifax. We're hoping to play N.Y.C I really liked playing New Brunswick. We had a great time. I like playing just about anywhere. The show I enjoyed the most was opening for Death on the Symbolic tour in 95 the place was packed and the crowd was awesome!

8. Who are some bands you have had the opportunity to share the stage with?
Some of the bands we played with over the years have been VoiVod, Killer Dwarfs, Mercyful Fate, Anvil.

9. When bands are able to play live again are their plans to tour or play shows in support of Left For Dead?
 We're working on some shows now. Everything is a bit up in the air but we have been in talks with some promoters. We want to open for some established acts and play across Canada and hopefully make our way to the states. We would love to go to Europe eventually.

10. Homicide comes out of the Canadian thrash metal scene, what are your thoughts on the Canadian scene?
The Canadian scene is great. Lots of great shows here in Montreal and Toronto.

11. Who are your all-time favorite bands coming out of Canada?
 Sacrifice, Razor, Exciter, Infernal Majesty

12. What does Underground Metal mean to you?
You have to watch the movie Get Thrashed, they described it perfectly. Basically you play music because it's what you enjoy doing. You're not doing it to become rich or anything and it's still underground. It's not mainstream and it's not radio-friendly. It's aggressive music.

13. Besides working in Homicide do any of the members currently play in any other bands? If yes please tell the readers a little about them?
 Right now I'm pretty much just working on Homicide. I know Scotty and Mac are always jamming and Gab is pretty much on the air 24/7

14. When you need to take a break from working on new music or band business what do you like to do in your free time?
 I like reading about history, watch documentaries. Like to be outside most of the summer before it gets too cold.

15. Besides metal music do you or any of the members currently listen to any other forms of Underground or mainstream music? If yes who are some of your favorite bands and artists?
The drummer Scotty is into all kinds of stuff. He plays guitar, piano so he listens to a wide range of different artists. Mac likes Country and I don't know what else. Pretty much the same stuff I listen to, we all have the same taste basically but we don't all listen to the same music. Gab likes a lot of different stuff. Some stuff he likes I'm not too interested in and me I like I guess what you would call classic rock now and some blues. The blues-rock bands from the '60s and 70' s and some of the psychedelic bands. The Stones Hendrix The Doors Cream

16. Thank you Bryan for taking the time to fill this interview out do you have any final comments for the readers?
 Firstly I'd like to thank you Patrick and Mosh Nerd for doing this interview and would ask everyone reading this interview to go support your favorite bands. I'm not going to tell anyone to stay safe but I would tell you to stay metal.
Band Contact
https://www.facebook.com/homicidemontreal/

About Winter Torment Web-zine

Mosh Shinobi is an independent YouTube channel featuring Ninja/Samurai, martial arts, and action movie content.
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment