Asphagor - Pyrogenesis (Released 10-03-2023 on MDD Records) (Black Metal)

 

So, here is another black metal write up from me, which is rare, but if something catches my attention, or is different, then I’ll take a listen. The intro track Ex Cathedra was cool and reminiscent of Black Sabbath featuring a slow atmospheric build up to something ominous. It grabbed my attention and it will hook in the listener. The riffs come in at the end to give you a tease of what is coming. 

 

Pyrogenesis has a wide range from both the music and vocals. There is a mix of furious riffs, head banging parts, but with a melodic edge. Not sure what style of Black Metal this is, but it is a nice mix. Vocally it is really good and there are some chanting sections on some of the songs, such as Nine Moons, which made me think could this even be Viking Black Metal or Shamanistic/Pagan Black Metal from what my ears could detect within the music.


The pace frequents from fast to mid, and pausing for slow sombre tones. In some parts it even felt grungy and 90s in sound, so there is a lot of various influences and creativity behind the music. 


The only problem, which could be just to my own tastes, I don’t know, because I did not hate or dislike the album. I was just starting to lose interest towards the end of the album. The majority of Pyrogenesis is a worthwhile listen with superbly played music featuring a wide spectrum of melodies and pace. For some reason, it just felt a little too long for my ears, even though it is only an 11 track album.

 

Verdict: I think if you are seeking something different and appreciate a wide ranging base of instruments, vocals, and tones, then Pyrogenesis is an album you would definitely want to pick up. I felt it was a little too long towards the latter part of the album, which is really the only negative experience I had whilst listening, which isn’t bad overall. 

 

Tracklist:
01. Ex Cathedra
02. Nine Moons
03. The Mizaru Doctrine
04. Matricide
05. The Great Erosion
06. Scales Of Retribution
07. Pyrogenesis
08. Summoning
09. Pavor Nocturnus
10. The Architect
11. Ghost Of Aphelion

 

Line-up:
Morgoth - Vocals
M.E. Sargoth - Drums
Guitars Hybreos - Guitars, Synth,FX
M.Zanesco - Guitars
P.P.Lps - Bass Guitar

Guest vocals on "Matricide" by Lady Perchta (Perchta).

 

Follow:

https://asphagor.bandcamp.com/album/pyrogenesis
http://fb.com/Asphagor
http://asphagor.at
https://www.instagram.com/asphagorofficial

About Fed Up

Mosh Shinobi is an independent YouTube channel featuring Ninja/Samurai, martial arts, and action movie content.
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment