Interview with Breaking The Silent{Thrash/power metal} done by Patrick posted on 5-10-20


1.Please introuduce yourselves to the readers?
We are Breaking The Silent, from Edmonton, in Canada. We love our Thrash and Power metal but enjoy playing it even more!

2.When did you first discover metal music and who were the first bands you discovered?Who are some of the newer bands that have caught your attention?
Dale: In high school, metallica, 3inches of blood, anthrax...newer bands: Havok, overkill, revocation
Mar: In my late teens, early 20s.This guy I was dating showed me a whole other world of metal music and its subgenres. By then I knew of the big 4 and their own influences , and who they had influenced. That guy showed me bands like Destruction, Sacrifice, Sanctuary and Emperor, Enslaved, Opeth..to give you an idea of how this metalhead educated me and showed me metal as a culture. In the last couple of years I’ve added Myrkur and Jinjer to my playlists, for thrash, Havok, Hazzerd and Terrifier have joined my list. I try to stay updated on the underground scenes. 

3.When did you first meet the other members of the band and was it long before you started Breaking The Silent ?What is the current line-up of the band?
Mar: I met the original drummer, Shane, a few years before he and another fella started BTS. In 2016 Shane asked me to try out as singer for the band , and so I did. The line up changed and Dale joined us a few months later. Andy joined in last year. Dale and Andy had known each other and played in a band for years by then.
At this very moment, you have me on vocals, Dale on bass, and Andy shreds the strings.

4.Who would you say are the bands biggest influences?For the readers who have never heard Breaking The Silent's music how would you best describe the bands sound?
Mar: Our biggest influences, I’d say, are pioneer metal bands of the 70s, 80s, 90s. From metal to grunge. Bands like Black Sabbath, Dio, Overkill, Metallica and Megadeth (they go hand in hand..πŸ˜‚), Alice in Chains, Death Angel, and so on. We also listen to a lot of new bands that have burst out, keeping up with the scene. Some good bands out there!
Our sound is heavily influenced by old school heavy metal.
Dale: Influences-metallica, Huntress, revocation  Its old school metal with a modern twist

5.Breaking The Silent.is the debut EP. how long did it take the band to write the music for the debut release?Does the whole band take part in the writing process or does one member usually write everything?
Mar: The songs were written about a year to a year and a half ago. We went through some major line up changes and it delayed our recording schedule.
Dale is the melody whisperer, he’s the point of start. He spits riffs or a full melody, sometimes with drum ideas, then, Andy does his magic, you gotta see him live! I finish with writing the lyrics. We are like the different colors used to create a beautiful art of work; our individual talents are quite different but they come together damn well.

6.Who usually handles writing the lyrics for the music and what are some topics written about on the debut release?
Mar: I write the lyrics for our songs. I draw them from my everyday and my past personal situations and experiences. All kinds. I like to take those emotions and generalize them.
In this EP I wrote about suicide from the “victim’s” point of view , I also wrote about PTSD, and in “Cry Of Fear", our single, I write about dwelling with the feeling of anger and its consequences.

7..Besides the debut release does the band have any other releases or merchandise currently available?If yes what is available and where can the readers purchase it?
Dale: Currently working on our first full length album
Bandcamp.com/breakingthesilent
Mar: You can definitely get our merch through band camp. We are available through our social media pages, send us a message and we will get merch and physical copies of the EP to you. Working on a fully working website..

8.Has Breaking The Silent played live very often or do you prefer working in the studio?What have been some of the bands most memorable shows so far?
Man, we enjoy playing live!! No word can describe how much we love it and thrive from it. That rush of adrenaline we get from seeing all the folks on the other side of the stage, their faces as they are rockin' and headbanging to our music, that is priceless and worth every pearl of sweat! Dale and Andy like recording..me not so much but Im a sucker for laying down vocal harmonies!
We recently did a mini string of shows in Europe and all these shows were memorable, specially the rad people we met and their hospitality. Playing in Europe was a highlight for us. I will also add to this that being a part of the opening line up for Wednesday 13 was pretty rad!
Dale: 

9.When bands are able to play live again does the band have any plans to live in support of the debut release?Where will the band be playing and who are some bands that you will share the stage with?
We definitely plan to tour in the name of this debut EP, its such an overdue release. Then again, its hard to plan anything at the moment. We were looking forward to play Heavy Metal Farmfest this summer, but because if COVID 19, it is cancelled. We are refraining from making concrete plans right now, instead we are working on our first full length . Socially, this necessary lock down is no fun but it’s a good time for us to focus on this full length album, both individually and as a band.

10.What does Underground Metal mean to you all?
Dale: It's the heart and soul of the industry to me
Mar: I see it as the core of the metal scene. Its where and how we start, we meet, we grow, we discover, we live, we learn metal. It keeps the metal culture ongoing. Mainstream or not, every metal band was, is, or was and still is, an underground metal band.

11.Besides working in Breaking The Silent do any of the members currently work with any other bands or solo projects?If yes please tell the readers about them?
Mar: Andy Martin has a solo metal project and a youtube channel. I hopped on a couple trains, ill see where they go.
Dale: Do not recessitate- its my acoustic project.

12.Besides metal music do any of the members currently listen to any other forms of music?If yes who are some of your favorite bands and artists?
Dale: Hank Williams the 3rd
Mar: I love melancholic music. I listen to lots of melodic black metal, I enjoy some classical, Chopin has a beautiful darkness. These past months I’ve revisited Chelsea Wolfe and her album history. And Opeth..I love me some Opeth.

13.When not working on new music or band business what do you enjoy doing in your free time?
Dale: Camping, hunting, fishing
Mar: Im learning guitar and recently picked up gardening in case we hit the end of world as we know it..I greatly enjoy a philosophical read, psychotherapy, holistic subjects and paganism, fascinate me. On a larger scale, road trips, camping and some socializing.

14.Besides music we are huge movie fans here do you enjoy watching movies?If yes do you have a favorite genre?
Dale: Comedy
Mar: All kinds of thrillers, specially psychological, biographies, horror and ominous movies and…musicals!

15.What are some of your all-time favorite movies and what are some of the current movies that you have been watching?
Dale: Eastbound and down
Mar: My all time 3 are Pan's Labyrinth, The Exorcist (original), and Grease (the first one obviously!). The latest movie I thoroughly enjoyed was “Midsommar”, I’m not a fan of going to the movie theater..

16.Who are your all-time favorite Actresses and Actors?Are their any directors that you enjoy watching the most?
Dale: Tom Green
Mar: I like movies from Mongrel. Also am a fan of foreign movies and tv series. Europe has some talented writers they come up with really entertaining story plots. I couldn’t tell you names though.

17.Thank you for taking the time to fill this interview out do you have any final comments for the readers
Dale: Life's a ditch, dig it🀘
Mar: Thank you for taking the time to send us this interview. For all of you out there, keep an eye and ears for Breaking The Silent. Big Thank you to our metal community for their on going support! Cheers to the new fans!πŸ€˜πŸ–€
Band Contacts




About Winter Torment Web-zine

Mosh Shinobi is an independent YouTube channel featuring Ninja/Samurai, martial arts, and action movie content.
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment